How can I get an RPL?
You need to be at least 16 to get an RPL. For each category rating you want to obtain you need to:
  • complete the relevant flight training
  • undertake a general English language assessment (only required for the first category rating)
  • pass an RPL theory exam (this can be set and conducted by your flying school)
  • pass an RPL flight test
  • have at least 25 hours flying time including a minimum of 20 hours dual and five hours as pilot in command.

Training for your licence, ratings or endorsements (except design feature endorsements and flight activity endorsements) must be undertaken through a flying school which is authorised under Part 141 or 142 of the Civil Aviation Safety Regulations.

You need to have either a class 1 or class 2 medical certificate or a recreational aviation medical practitioner’s certificate to take the RPL flight test.

What endorsements can be added to an RPL?
The following endorsements can be added to an RPL:
  • controlled aerodrome endorsement
  • controlled airspace endorsement
  • flight radio endorsement (this requires an aviation English language proficiency assessment)
  • recreational navigation endorsement (this requires a minimum flight time of five hours solo cross-country and a minimum of two hours dual instrument time, of which at least one hour in flight instrument time).
What limitations apply to the holder of an RPL?
Before using your RPL, you need to:
  • have a current flight review for the aircraft being flown
  • meet the medical requirements
  • have conducted three take-offs and landings in the previous 90 days if you wish to carry passengers
  • have a class 1 or 2 medical certificates to fly above 10,000ft, or have another pilot with you who has a class 1 or 2 medical certificates who is occupying a flight control seat in the aircraft and is authorised to pilot the aircraft.

Unless you hold a navigation endorsement you are also limited to flying within 25 nautical miles of your departure aerodrome, your flight training area and the route between your departure aerodrome and the flight training area.

You need to have a flight radio endorsement if you are going to use the aircraft radio during the flight.

  • If you want to fly in controlled airspace, you must hold a controlled airspace endorsement.
  • If you want to fly at a controlled aerodrome, you must hold a controlled aerodrome endorsement

Courtesy of the Civil Aviation Safety Authority.